Dallas Stars Podcast @ www.dallasstarspodcast.com
For the Fans, By the Fans
Scooter & The Wall podcast a weekly show at DallasStarsPodcast.com. Between shows they and their blogging team will post periodic blogs here to fill in the quiet time. Want to join the Scooter & The Wall's blog team? This blog is read by many of the Dallas Stars Podcast listeners and we're looking for regular contributors. Let us know you're interested and we'll consider bringing you on board!
HomePodcastsOur MusicPhoto GalleryThe FansLinksAbout UsContact Us

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Finalists for Top NHL Awards

A couple days ago (Tuesday to be exact) a flurry of blogs and news articles attacked our news readers and favorite sports sites listing the finalists for many of the NHL's top awards. This article wasn't one of them. I got sunburned, then sick, then slept for 2 days and missed everything that went on. After finally catching back up I realized ... none of my Stars are on the list ... damn you NHL.

Ok ok - so who is on the list? And who are my favorites? (prepare hate mail):

CALDER MEMORIAL TROPHY (outstanding rookie): Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins; Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh Penguins; Paul Stastny, Colorado Avalanche.
This is a though list of rookies to choose from, all centers, all spectacular. Does the NHL give it to the rookie with a strong family history in hockey, or one of the teamate rookies who helped lead their team into the playoffs. Personally I'm a sucker for history, plus Stastny is in the Western Conference ...

FRANK J. SELKE TROPHY (outstanding defensive forward): Rod Brind'Amour, Carolina Hurricanes; Samuel Pahlsson, Anaheim Ducks; Jay Pandolfo, New Jersey Devils.
Well, for offensive forwards Rod Brind'Amour, even though he couldn't single-handedly get his team into the playoffs, he's pretty good. But let me pose a question, why is it that the best defensive forwards are always described as lacking the ability to score? If they're used as defensive forwards, and they're some of the best defensive forwards, then let the be defensive and don't get on their backs for "not performing to the elite level of the NHL". Maybe it's just me.

HART MEMORIAL TROPHY (most valuable player to his team): Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils; Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins; Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks.
There are three players listed here that, to be 100% honest I can not fathom replacing with anyone else. Without Brodeur or Luongo neither of their teams would have gotten nearly as far as they've gotten. As for Crosby, he actually stood out on a team with other players that were there for the long haul - it's hard to stand out against that.

JACK ADAMS AWARD (outstanding coach): Lindy Ruff, Buffalo Sabres; Michel Therrien, Pittsburgh Penguins; Alain Vigneault, Vancouver Canucks.
I admit I don't follow coaches league-wide, but looking at their teams' have done at times throughout this season and it's hard to argue with the choices. Could I have picked others, yeah, but I don't know enough in this arena to say with any proof.

JAMES NORRIS MEMORIAL TROPHY (outstanding defenseman): Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit Red Wings; Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim Ducks; Chris Pronger, Anaheim Ducks.
While I would love to see Philipe Boucher on this list (I do own two of his jerseys, and I only own 3) he stood out for my team, but was it enough to stand out league-wide? Maybe this isn't the right award for him, this year (watch the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy) and I digress. Great choices, all three, certainly not going to be an easy decision.

LADY BYNG MEMORIAL TROPHY (sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct): Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings; Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche; Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning.
I don't care who gets this, I just love that the NHL gives an award (pardon me, Trophy) in honor of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct.

LESTER B. PEARSON AWARD (most outstanding player as voted by fellow members of the NHLPA): Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins; Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay Lightning; Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks.
I don't think the opinion of a fan really matters in this one, it's a player award given by the players. Who would know better?

VEZINA TROPHY (outstanding goaltender): Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils; Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary Flames; Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers; Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks.
I'm obviously upset (not angry upset, just disapointed upset) that my favorite goalie isn't on this list (do I really have to name him?). That said, they've all done excellent jobs and are all deserving of such an important trophy. Congratulations for being finalists boys, even you RoBorat.

So, did I tell you anything you didn't know? Doubtful. Did I give you the same crap every one else did? I hope not. Do you wanna send me hatemail? haha - bring it on!

Meanwhile, enjoy the playoffs, I hear the Rangers are trying to upset the Sabres and that the Red Wings may just suprise everyone in the west and actually make it to the conference finals.

No comments: